By Chloe Braithwaite
Community members in the Northern Rivers region are invited to participate in a new series of immersive Science Walks/Science Talks. Targeting a number of different audience groups, the Science Walks/Science Talks series builds on the success of Lismore’s popular Northern Rivers Arts Vs Science Festival.
Five events are planned for 2016:
- April 5: Science in the Pub, 5:30pm at the SCU Unibar Lismore
- July/August: Water Science for Everybody: Water Lab Wednesday is a school holiday program run during the holidays. This year the Water Lab will also present “pop up” events during National Science Week
- July 31: Biodiversity Talks are planned to coincide with National Tree Day at the Duck Pond Landcare site, South Lismore
- August Old Science/New Science is this year’s theme for for National Science Week
- September Fun & Photography will be the flavor of activities at Flyout to mark Biodiversity Month
The Northern Rivers Hub also organises a series of regular events that are open to all. Join the Work Mornings at the Lismore Rainforest Botanic Gardens, held every Wednesday and the last Sunday of the month. Or get involved with the Wilsons River Landcare Workdays, held every second and fourth Saturday of the month. Both events support local conservation and sustainability efforts.
To keep in touch with the Northern Rivers Science Hub’s activities, join the Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/sciencewalkssciencetalks. You can also contact the Science Hub convenor Vanessa Tallon.