The grant round for National Science Week 2019 is now open! Inspiring Australia welcomes applications for grants of $2000 to $20,000 towards public events and activites targeting general public audiences to be presented in National Science Week between10 – 18 August 2019. Applications must be received by Tuesday 20 November.
National Science Week is Australia’s major national celebration of the sciences in August each year. National Science Week provides high profile science engagement activities across the nation. It is also an important opportunity for the science community to celebrate and showcase science to the Australian public and the world.
The Australian Government supports National Science Week in a variety of ways, including through the National Science Week Grants that help provide nationwide science engagement activities in which the wider community can participate.
It does this by:
- providing funding to eligible and meritorious high profile projects across all states and territories
- supporting projects that stimulate and leverage further contributions by organisations across Australia
- supporting projects which target new and under-served audiences
- engaging Indigenous Australians in National Science Week activities.
Ongoing funding of $500,000 per year is available.
- The minimum grant amount is $2,000.
- The maximum grant amount is $20,000.
To be eligible you must:
- be an individual 18 years of age or older, or
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
The value of your project must exceed the grant you are seeking. You must have some additional funding or in-kind contributions to support your project.
To be eligible your project must be directed towards a science-related activity for the general public that will be conducted in Australia during National Science Week, or where appropriate, in the week before or after National Science Week.
Your proposal must address one or more of the following purposes:
- draw the nation’s attention towards the sciences
- spark broad interest and engagement in the sciences
- provide an opportunity for all Australians to participate in science events and activities
- foster partnerships between the community, research organisations and industry
- trial new and innovative science communication activities
- involve attendance or participation by the general public’
- include eligible activities and eligible expenditure.
School-based projects are not usually eligible.
For more information on eligibility please refer to Section 5 of the National Science Week Grants grant opportunity guidelines.
Image of community members enjoying the Innovation Games during National Science Week 2018 courtesy of Sydney Olympic Park Authority.