*Dates for the IA NSW 2023 grant rounds will be announced on this page soon. National Science Week will be held 12 – 20 August 2023*
Each year, Inspiring Australia (NSW) offers funding to NSW stakeholders to deliver high-profile community events during National Science Week and at other times of the year. These NSW Science Engagement grants are typically offered March/April and October/November and have enabled NSW to grow its statewide National Science Week offering while also allowing NSW Regional Science Hubs to deliver entertaining programing throughout the year.
The IA NSW Science Grants program is funded by NSW Department of Enterprise, Investment and Trade and the Commonwealth Department of Industry, Science and Resources. This program underpins a network of NSW Regional Science Hubs – local partnerships that bring together multidisciplinary teams to develop and deliver high-profile STEM engagement programs in NSW.
2023 National Science Week Grants
Inspiring Australia NSW is supporting NSW-based event providers to deliver innovative live, online and hybrid events and activities that can be delivered as part of National Science Week from 12 – 20 August 2023. The purpose of this funding is to connect community members with science and technology, including in regional communities, and to enable community presenters to develop interactive science events and activities for the general public. This funding round for 2023 is not open yet.
2023 Year-Round Science Grants
The 2023 Year-Round Science Grants program aims to further develop the network of NSW Regional Science Hubs, enduring local partnerships that bring together multidisciplinary teams to develop and deliver high-profile science events in regional NSW. Regional organisations operating as Science Hubs can apply for funds of up to $8,000 to facilitate the delivery of year-round public engagement programs. This funding round for 2023 is not open yet.
Sponsorship for NSW 2023 engagement projects
Expressions of Interest for sponsorship of science engagement projects with up to $10,000 from established presenters that have a proven track record in catering to general public audiences. This funding round for 2023 is not open yet.
Anyone seeking sponsorship should first contact the Inspiring Australia NSW Manager to discuss their proposal.
Any sponsorship proposal must seek funding for a general public community event that includes science themes and science or technology researchers. Events that have potential to attract people who may not ordinarily participate in nor have access to science outreach programs will be highly regarded.
In order to qualify, applicants must demonstrate:
- Proven experience in attracting the target audience
- Capacity to deliver professionally managed events
- Capacity to manage and acquit funds
- A plan for responding to Covid-19 restrictions if necessary
- A plan for how NSW scientists will be incorporated into event programming
- A realistic estimate of the intended reach of the activity to be sponsored
- A plan for evaluating the impact of the activity to be sponsored.
- Letters of support from partners
Read the 2022 NSW-Sponsorship-Guidelines These guidelines have been developed to guide assessment of ad hoc funding requests.
Inspiring Australia Science Engagement Program
Funded by the Commonwealth Department of Industry, Science and Resources, the Inspiring Australia science engagement program supports a range of national science engagement activities to inspire, motivate and cultivate a scientifically engaged community across Australia.
- National Science Week Grants that support the delivery of science engagement activities during National Science Week each year in August. The 2023 round is now open.
- Prime Minister’s Prizes for Science, annual awards for outstanding achievement in science, innovation and science teaching.
- Maker Projects Community STEM Engagement Grants that support collaborative initiatives that deliver interactive and hands-on STEM-related activities to youth under 18 years of age.
- Citizen Science Grants for nationally significant citizen science projects.
- Sponsorship Grants for Student Science Engagement and International Competitions to help students participate in international competitions.
For more information, check the Inspiring Australia national grant information at the Department’s website.