Sydney Science Festival is looking for volunteers to assist and excite young and old with all the wonders of science! We need volunteers to help with events throughout the Festival period that runs from 7–19 August 2018. Now in its fourth year, Sydney Science Festival will take over Sydney in National Science Week with more than 200 events presented across the city.
Volunteers must be available for a minimum of three shifts within the Festival period and be willing to travel to venues across Sydney. Duties range from assisting with venues and presenters, helping with ticketing and developing social media content to liaising with school groups and presenting activities.
There are two main roles at the Sydney Science Festival. You are able to volunteer for both. More specific information about the roles will be given during volunteer inductions and closer to the events.
1. Event Volunteer
Assisting with a variety of events happening at locations across Sydney as part of the SSF. This role will require travel to different venues, and events will predominantly take place in the evening and/or on weekends.
2. SSF School Volunteer
Assisting with the running of the major school events happening at the Australian Museum during the SSF. These events run from 8:30am to 2pm, Tuesday to Friday each week of the SSF.
- Primary school week: 7 to 10 August
- High School week: 14 to 17 August
• Excited, friendly personality
• Comfortable interacting with visitors of all backgrounds, especially school students
• Good time management skills, and able to fulfil commitments made
• Good customer service and communication skills
• Strong interest in science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM)
• Flexible and able to problem solve
• Sense of humour and ability to have fun!
Eager to get involved? Register here
Benefits of volunteering
Volunteering is a great way to gain experience in the museum, gallery and event management industries. There’s no other event like this in Australia, and no other way to get this type of firsthand experience.
You will get the chance to:
• Gain experience in the museum, gallery and event management industries.
• Get noticed in the cultural, scientific and arts communities of NSW.
• Network with the growing science education and science communication community of Sydney.
Need more information?
If you have any queries about volunteering with Sydney Science Festival, please contact the producers by email