Students in and around Lismore are inviuted to participate in an Innovation Challenge on 21 November that will address the theme: “Innovating and Upskilling for a sustainable future: How might your business find commercial opportunity in transitioning to cleaner energy?”
Inspired by hackathons, the National Innovation Games series is modelled after Paddl Games, which are innovation challenges designed to help students and grads develop design-thinking skills and put their education into practice during one-day challenges.
Students work with local businesses on actual business problems, and showcase their abilities in real-time, sometimes securing employment. These challenges help students gain real workplace experience and connect with like-minded individuals.
Participating students come from various tertiary education institutes; universities, TAFEs and RTOs. Each team is comprised of students from these different institutions so students are not only working with people they might already know. The Games present an intense and enjoyabl day of innovation and learning.
A Recent Challenge
The first challenge of the Innovation Games series took place on the Gold Coast. It was sponsored by Virgin Australia and hosted by the Hon. Karen Andrews MP, Minister for Industry, Science and Technology.
The next Challenge in Lismore
An upcoming Challenge will take place in Lismore on November 21st and will be sponsored by EnergyAustralia. The challenge focus of the day is: “Innovating and Upskilling for a sustainable future: How might your business find commercial opportunity in transitioning to cleaner energy?”
At these challenges, there will be Mentor Booths where students can get career advice, as well as Employer Booths, where hiring companies can conduct informal interviews to assess talent they are interested in hiring.
An opportunity like no other to build critical industry experience for the future of work, help local businesses and network with industry experts in a fun and creative environment.
How does it work?
Using design thinking techniques, 60 selected university students and graduates will work alongside 10 local businesses, corporate industry experts, and Paddl facilitators in innovation teams of 10 people.
- Each team will be matched to a business to work collaboratively on the day to come up with innovative ideas relating to the challenge theme specifically for the team’s allocated business
- The Innovation Teams are made up of 6 students/graduates, industry team mentors and employees from the business. Each team will have a mix of skills and experience to ensure you have all the knowledge you need in the team – it is a competition after all!
- The Challenge Labs provide access to specialist knowledge, insights, data, and advice to all teams. They are manned by industry specialists relevant to the Challenge topic
- You will e-meet your team members and business before Challenge day. We use an online platform called Slack where you will be able to introduce yourself, find out about the business, discuss the Challenge day strategy and choose a team name (get creative as there’s a prize for the best one!)
- Paddl facilitators will support and guide you and your team every step of the way so you will be successful and have lots of fun! You will also be provided with documentation and plenty of opportunities to ask lots of questions to the Paddl Games team.
- Awesome networking opportunities abound: meet senior executives from EnergyAustralia, COSBOA and many other key employers
What’s in it for you?
If selected, you will…
- Help solve a real-world business challenge for your allocated business and make an impact towards a more sustainable future
- Learn about design thinking and put it into practice on the Challenge day
- Have the opportunity to book a 15-minute one-on-one career mentoring chat on the day in the Mentor Booth with an HR or business executive from either the corporate partner or one of the participating businesses
- Get to expand your network of employers like EnergyAustralia, industry experts, and fellow experience-seekers and innovators!
- Put your skills into practice and gain invaluable work experience to show to future employers!
And of course, awesome prizes for the three best teams and special recognition for the best individual participants!
All welcome to participate by creating a profile and submitting an application via this link